Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Kinda Fresh


I have been what is known in the derby world as “fresh meat” for the last 3 months.  John McCain said, when he was called “The come-back kid” in the 2008 Republican primary, “At my age, I don’t think I can be called the anything kid!”  I don’t often feel like a kindred spirit with old Republicans, but I get it, Senator.  I find it difficult to think of myself as fresh anything at 46.  But here I am, skating around the rink with a bunch of 20-somethings.  
In some ways I have a leg up on them.  Not so much my age, but my generation makes me more at ease on 8 wheels.  I first strapped on metal skates over my Buster Brown shoes around age 5 or 6.  I spent Friday nights with the Campfire girls at the Ballaroo skating rink in Medford, MA.  In 1991, I spend days off on a cheap pair of quad skates, on the bike path in southern California.  When rollerblades came into fad, I bought my first pair in 1992.  Throughout the years, depending on if my residence was in proximity to a bike path, I found comfort and relaxation with wheels on my feet, and earbuds in my ears.  Even in Saudi Arabia, where the security of a self-contained compound allowed it, I would go out rollerblading at 2am.  
I’ve never really had a “thing” - you know, something to challenge myself, a goal to work for.  Exercise was moderately enjoyable, but mainly done with the incentive of not becoming fatter than I already am.  My husband ran a marathon a few years ago.  He decided to do it one day, read “Marathon training for Dummies”, started with a few 5Ks and half-marathons, then finished the Disney marathon just after Chip. (Or was it Dale?).  I’ve thought over the years, why isn’t there a “thing” for rollerblading?  They have 10Ks for runners, bike races, triathlons.  I had always wished they had a 5K for rollerbladers.  Of course, I’ve heard of roller derby, but not as something I thought anyone could actually just “do”.  
You gotta love Facebook.  I know in general, some of us are getting less social because of technology, but I’m a busy mother of 2.  There’s no way I’d be able to keep in touch with everyone I’d like to in real life.  One such person was Meghan.  I know her because she was my autistic son’s behavioral therapist.  For those of you who think someone like that isn’t really a friend, I challenge you to think of one of your friends whose been in your house every week for a year, seen you in your PJs, and has physically helped you hold down your 4 year old in the middle of a tantrum.    Meghan shared one of those little photo/jokes you see on Facebook all the time. Now I can’t remember exactly what it was, but I remember the words “Roller Derby” and “fish-net stockings”.  I messaged her, “can just anyone do that?”  When she said yes, I think I sent another one, “I mean really, just anyone?”.  So there we were at the “Meat and greet”.  We spoke to a few women from the league and skated in circles to top 40 hits with the bass way too loud.  As we were discussing, “what to you think?”  “should we?”, a women skated by us in bootie pants and fish-net stockings.  We looked at each other and simultaneously declared, “We are totally getting fish-net stockings!”  
I’ve been looking on Amazon.  Being superstitious, I decided not to buy any until I passed my level I assessment, which I will talk about next post.  (Spoiler alert - fish-net stockings are kinda itchy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment